Why Is The Sky Blue, mom?

Science is one of my interesting subjects when I was in grade school and junior high. Somehow, basic information I learned probably gone already, one of those is the transformation of wavelength.



When my 6 year old son asked me this question: "Mom, why is the sky blue"? I was like frozen hearing the question and wishing I didn't hear him. It's quite funny because I do not want to make up my mind just to answer him. We have internet that I can easily research "Why Is The Sky Blue" however I hold myself back and I explained it to him in a very different way and I believe it's more instilling to a 6 year old child. 

Steps: We went outside the house and look up in the sky. Yes, it's in blue color. I asked him his question "Son, what do you think why the sky is blue?" Tell me what are your thoughts about it and we can talk about it. My son tried his best to think and came up with different views which I cannot say "incorrect" because its what he thought about our topic" and I was amazed because everytime he answered, he tried to give reasons on it. 

I let him draw what really his thoughts look like with color to motivate his drawing skills. (The drawing is quite far actually but I love it) I did not expect to much on his output since it's just an experimentation and he is just 6 year old boy :). 

At that point, he was very responsive, which I thought our conversations would last a day. Since we both were not sure of our talks and explanations we sat beside in-front of the laptop to finalize our answers. 

We came across this educational site which has a short story about sky. entitled: "Why does the sky appear in blue color" https://onlineelearn.com/2017/07/03/why-does-the-sky-appear-in-blue-color/. 

We're so lucky because the story is intended for kids. We don't need critical explanation on this topic since he was just a boy, he needs simple and easy explanation. Short story to relate is perfect. 

My son read the story and then he found the answer why the sky is blue. He was so happy since some of his answers were good and said to share his knowledge at school. s1 I could say, that one way of learning is not answering the questions directly but we parents should give more time for kids to think. Express their own understanding first, then we will assess. 

This is a productive day to me and to my son. We both learned from his question.

No comments:

Post a Comment